The Yushan Fellow Porgram aims to assist various universities and colleges (hereafter, universities) in recruiting top international elites to teach in Taiwan by providing internationally competitive salaries and thus expand international academic capacity in Taiwan’s academic environment and enhance the international influence of Taiwan’s higher education.
Universities that obtained Part II research center subsidy of more than NT$50 million for Higher Education Sprout Project
Universities that obtained Part I (implementing teaching innovation, developing university characteristics, and enhancing higher education publicity) subsidy of more than NT$50 million for higher Education Sprout Project
1. Eligibility of Yushan Fellow
Applicant must meet one of the following criteria:
※ Has worked at a leading international research institution or internationally renowned company for at least 10 years, and have an international academic reputation or international cutting-edge expertise in a core technology, and experience in leading an academic or industrial research team.
※ Has won a Nobel Prize, be a fellow of a national-level academy, be a fellow of a major international association, or have received some equivalent recognition.
※ Has made an outstanding contribution to the area of his or her academic expertise in the past 5 years.
2. Eligibility of Yushan Young Fellow
Applicant must have received their highest academic qualification within the last 10 years and meet one of the following criteria:
※ Has worked at a leading international research institution or an international renowned company for at least 5 years and have potential development.
※ Has experience in conducting major research projects.
※ Has made an exceptional contribution to the area of their area academic expertise in the past 5 years.
Yushan Fellows and Yushan Young Fellows may not be current full-time faculty members at universities or academic research institutions in Taiwan (not including project-based faculty members) and may not apply for subsidies (flexible salaries) provided by the Ministry of Education (MOE).
※For application, please visit our Join Yushan page and contact the universities：Join Yushan
※For more application information：FAQ
Salary and other Funding
1. Yushan Fellows will receive the statutory salary, an additional salary allowance of up to NT$5 million, and an administrative support grant of up to NT $1.5 million each year for three successive years.
2. Yushan Young Fellows will receive the statutory salary, an additional salary allowance of up to NT $1.5 million, and an administrative support grant of up to NT $ 1.5 million each year for five successive years.
3. Other Support: Universities will pay the statutory salary and provide support, such as research funding and equipment, research assistant personnel expenses, labor and health insurance expenses, accommodation and moving expenses, and assistance with children's education.
Other types of fees should be handled according to the Directions for MOE Subsidies and Funding and the Stipulation for Government Expenses.
Notes for University Cooperation
The universities that meet application qualifications (II) may apply for subsidies from MOE according to the predetermined and application quotas. The application procedures are as follows:
For predetermined quota:
1. Quota allocation method: According to the Higher Education Sprout Project Part II (the proportions of funds for various fields at research centers), the university is granted the quota of units based on a predetermined level. The calculation method for the quota of units is as follows: Yushan Fellows are one unit, whereas Yushan Young Fellows are one-third of a unit. For applications disapproved by MOE, their predetermined quota of units will be returned to the university and used for the next application.
2. Review method: A review committee is established. One convener for each of six fields (i.e., humanities and arts, social sciences, science, medicine, engineering, life sciences, and agronomy) is determined. Each convener recommends reviewers, and each application is reviewed by anonymous reviewers.
For application quota:
1. Quota allocation method: According to the Higher Education Sprout Project Part I (expenses for implementing teaching innovation, developing university characteristics, and enhancing higher education publicity), the university is granted the quota of application units based on a predetermined level. The calculation method for the quota of units is as follows: Yushan Fellows are one unit, whereas Yushan Young Fellows are one-third of a unit. For applications disapproved by MOE, their application quota of units will not be returned to the university.
2. Review method:
(1) Application review is conducted once each academic year in accordance with university operation.
(2) A review committee is established. One convener for each of six fields (i.e., humanities and arts, social sciences, science, medicine, engineering, life sciences, and agronomy) is selected. Each convener recommends reviewers and each application is reviewed by anonymous reviewers.
Notes for review
1. Experience and achievements of the candidate the university proposes to appoint (significant academic contributions, details of academic awards received,crucial research findings, curriculum vitae, and publications)
2. The proposed appointee’s future research topics and their relevance to university development and expected benefits:
(1) The scholar’s research plans and associated goals
(2) The scholar’s research topics and their relevance to university development
(3) The scholar’s specific approach to their research work
(4) Expected benefits (expected quantitative or qualitative results)
3. The university provides supportive measures and arrangements (e.g., research expenses and equipment, personnel expenses for research assistants, accommodation and moving expenses, and assistance with children’s education; these expenses can be paid by using self-fundraising funds by the university or using subsidies by government agencies)
4. Provision of pay reasonableness (e.g., the evaluation method for the university’s application for MOE’s subsidizing nonstatutory salary and administrative and operation expenses; the university is required to provide details on the provision of the statutory salary)
5. Teamwork formation (if a Yushan Fellow is appointed, he or she should form a research team with teaching and research members at the university; the team members should include associate and assistant professors or postdoctoral researchers; by contrast, if a Yushan Young Fellow is appointed, no details about teamwork formation are required)
(1)Review criteria: Regarding academic capacity, a Yushan Fellow should have the ability to win the “academic award” from the MOE; a Yushan Young Fellow should have the ability or potential to win “Mr. Wu Ta-You Memorial Award” from the Ministry of Science and Technology.
Project implementation assessment
1. Subsidies are approved every 3 years for Yushan Fellows and every 5 years for Yushan Young Fellows. The university should achieve concrete goals and present qualitative and quantitative performance, which serves as a reference for the MOE to review next application for subsidies.
2. The university should submit a report 8 months before the expiration of the appointment period for Yushan Fellows and Yushan Young Fellows. After the MOE sends the report to anonymous reviewers for review, the decision will be made 6 months before the expiration of the appointment period.
Notes for other items
1. According to the notes for university cooperation (V), the university may stipulate university regulations.
2. Payments, disbursements, and reports should be handled according to the directions for subsidies and funding by the MOE and Taiwan’s Central Government.
3. If Yushan Fellows or Yushan Young Fellows violate academic ethics, the related matters should be handled according to regulations for the violation of academic ethics at junior colleges or higher education institutions.
4. If Yushan Fellows or Yushan Young Fellows breach the Gender Equity Education Act or other legal regulations after or during their appointment period, the MOE may suspend the subsidies.
- Recruiting Talent (CH) Detailed information
- MOE Project Final Report (CH) Detailed information
- Qualification of Foreign Special Professionals (ENGLISH) Detailed information